Sunday, February 27, 2011

Week 6 and 7

I'm heading for Yuma Arizona and will work back up to Kingman. I love the sunsets here and see why the retirement magazine of Arizona is called "Sunset". I always thought it was for other obvious reasons.


On my way South I drove through Sedona and learned it's the "center of the universe", (just ask one of the locals, they'll tell you that's why they're there and it's true!"). Anyway it's a spectacular area and next time I go back I'm going to take some hikes in the area. This is the only photo I have until then.


I spent the weekend in Yuma and actually crossed the border into Algodones Mexico. A fellow worker has a wife that has bone on bone contact in her hip and they can't afford a hip replacement operation. I gave her some 800mg IB's I had once and she raved about them, so I thought I'd pick some up for her. Well, I've heard lots of folks talk about going to Mexico and coming back with huge jars of selected drugs so, I thought I could do the same. Not so fast. I went to a Pharmacy, found a bottle with 100 tabs for $2.75. I picked up 3 of those thinking, wow, Linda and Brad will so happy. I walked around a little more, had some lunch and decided, while I'm here I'll get a few more bottles for them, so I bought 4 more bottles and got in line to go through customs. one and a half hours later I finally get to the customs agent counter. The guy says, "what ya got in the bag? 800 milligram Ibuprofen sir, Oh yea, how many? 7 bottles or 700 hundred tabs". His eyes rolled along with his whole head. "Mr McNally, are you aware of the laws for bringing medications into the US? Well the sign on the way in said - some restrictions on certain medications...   We allow 100 tabs Mr McNally but I'll let you bring 200", crap. Well okay, I'll just throw those 5 bottles away, Thats fine if you do but you must return to Mexico to throw them away", double Crap! "I will however give you a pass to come to the front of the line on your return",...I'll bet thats going to go over big with all those hot tourists out there. Well anyway I did it and learned a valuable lesson for future travel into foreign country's. My friends obviously drove and hid extra bottles or used very large purses/bags. I will be better prepared in the future, guaranteed. After spending time around that area, I found I could learn to love the desert. It's a really beautiful area with a huge amount of farming. Check out these workers in the field and notice they cut and box the product while there.No processing the food!


These guys are harvesting chard


Looks like a lot of stooping and standing. They're harvesting lettuce.

After leaving Yuma I started going North and the only pictures I got were at Lake Havasu City. Maybe some of you have heard of McCullough chain saws. They were huge back in the 70's. Anyway the guy that invented them lived in Havasu City and had more money than he new what to do with. He heard about a bridge in London England that was going up for auction so he bid on it and won. He had the bridge taken apart brick by brick and shipped it to California, then to Havasu City where he assembled and spanned it from the town to an Island in the lake. The neat thing is there was very little development on the island before the bridge and very little since. Just a long walking path around the island which is I'd estimate 3 or 4 miles in distance. Anyway here is the final picture for this trip.

London Bridge at Lake Havasu City

Off to Texas next week.







2 comments:

  1. Arizona looks really pretty. I'm glad you enjoyed your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arizona is awesome. Growing up I had family there and we'd go there (Prescott/Prescott Valley) 3-4 times a year. My mom even bought a lot in Prescott Valley and applied for jobs with the Prescott court system. My grandma still has her home in Yuma. Fort Huachuca is south near Tuscon...maybe we'll get stationed there sometime. On your next trip in southern Arizona there is Tombstone or near Tuscon the coolest Air Force museum in the world...a massive graveyard for thousands of planes, including old Air Force One's, B-52s, etc. Sorry for rambling...I love Arizona though. As for the Mexico trip...my parents would go to Tijuana for drugs and Tequila...Cheryl had a big purse on these trips.

    ReplyDelete